Originally, this land was part of a Benedictine convent which was bought by the Giustiniani, a military family from the Republic of Genoa, in 1625. Wine was already produced from the then 40 ha of vineyards, since the Benedictine monks cultivated the first vines planted here. Today, the winery is managed by Magda Pedrini and the production is focussed on showing the potential of Gavi di Gavi from the two single vineyards of the estate: Lugarara and Montessora.
Lugarara is a vineyard located in in the heart of the commune of Rovereto in Gavi at around 300 metres above sea level. Soils are grey marl with loose, sandy topsoil. The vines are Guyot trained and planted at a density of 4,000 vines per hectare. The ‘Lugarara’ is always the more open and forward compared to the Montessora. Lugarara is unoaked so the character of vineyard shines through.
One of Piedmont’s famous DOCG zones, Gavi di Gavi at its best is a tight, bright, aromatic white wine primed to be an italian version of famous Chablis. La Giustiniana is, without a doubt, an elite Gavi expert. This is a texural wine made entirely of hand-harvested Cortese from the region’s best vineyards. The calcareous soil renders an elegant expression of the grape with bright herbal notes. The pronounced acidity and refined profile of anise, green apple, and almond with strong mineral signature that linger on the finish.Additional informations (PDF)